Many people assume that an essay is an ordinary work. However, it is not.
The essay is a prosaic literary genre. Translated from French means “sketch” or “sketch”. The essay reflects the individual experiences of the author, his views on a particular question. It does not provide an exhaustive answer to a specific question, but reflects one’s own opinion or impression.
Characteristics of the essay
To correctly write an essay, you should take into account the specific features that distinguish it from other genres.
The main features of the essay:
1. The presence of a certain narrow topic, which contains a problem and prompts the reader to meditate.
2. Subjective author’s position. The essay is distinguished precisely by the presence of an author’s view of the existing problem, its relation to the world, speech and thinking.
3. Spoken style of writing. It is necessary to avoid complicated formulations, too long sentences. It is important to follow a laid-back style to establish contact with the reader. It is important not to overdo it, turning the essay into a substandard text full of slang. The correct emotional color of the text will be given by short, simple and understandable sentences, the use of different intonations in sentences.
4. A detailed analysis of the problem. Our own point of view needs to be argued on the basis of factual material.
5. Relative brevity of presentation. There are no restrictions on the number of pages, but the essay is small in volume.
6. Free construction. The essay has a character of presentation that does not fit into any definite framework. The construction obeys its own logic, which the author adheres to, trying to consider the problem from different angles.
7. The logic of presentation. Despite the free composition, the essay must have an internal unity, consistency of the author’s statements expressing his opinion.
Thus, the essay is distinguished by a special style of narrative, its purpose is to induce the reader to reflect. The author does not insist on his point of view, but as if invites the reader to think and discuss it.
How to choose a topic to write an essay
If there is no list of topics among which you can choose one, and only a general direction is given, then you need to take into account which audience the essay is designed for. Variants can be different: the teacher in the university, the commission, the literary community, the employer. If the essay is written for delivery to the teacher, then it is necessary to consider what qualities will be evaluated. Proceeding from this, the topic should be chosen in such a way that it would be possible to demonstrate the abilities that the examiner from the author is waiting for: originality, the ability to logically construct sentences, literacy, professional qualities, etc.
When choosing the topic of writing an essay from the proposed list, you should choose one in which there is a certain knowledge, considerations or just strong interest.
How to start to write an essay
It often happens that a person who has enough eloquence and the ability to express his thoughts on paper, has difficulty in starting the essay, including the essay. Consideration of the beginning may take a long time, which greatly darkens the process of creative work. Take advantage of our tips on how to start an essay.
Tip 1. Before you start writing essays, you need to formulate an idea, define a goal and find sources of information for the work.
Tip 2. Use the free reading technique (free writing). The essence of it is to write down all the thoughts that come to mind without editing it and not following grammar, punctuation, style, etc. A great way to help cope with the creative crisis and find an extraordinary idea.
Tip 3. It is important not to focus on the introductory part. The introduction can be written and after the main part is written. In this case it is already clear what the essay is about, therefore it is easier to write the introduction.
Tip 4. One of the fairly common options is to write an essay, starting with a question, the answer to which is given later.
How to draw up an essay plan
Do not try to make a perfect plan at once. In the process of work, it can be edited. It is not necessary to make a plan when writing an essay, as well as stick to the plan already written. The absence of restrictions and rigid frames is an advantage of this genre. If the author is easier to adhere to a strict plan, then it is worth taking time to compile it.
All the main thoughts should be reflected in the form of the items of the plan. Then, as detailed as possible, detail it by breaking each paragraph into sub-paragraphs.
Then read the plan, make sure that each item is in its place and is sufficiently detailed.